Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week 6

Local Area Network, Wikipedia
LAN is a term with which I am familiar, but can definitely learn more about. Wikipedia defines a local area network as a computer network that connects computers and devices in a limited geographical area (for example a home or school). The need for LANs was recognized in the 1960s and has developed greatly since then. Most of us are probably familiar with the examples Ethernet and Internet Protocol (aka TCP/IP) from hooking up internet in our homes.

Computer Network, Wikipedia
Computer networks are also a familiar term, since many of us use these daily at work. Without computer networks, it would be difficult to connect employees at a large company or firm and things would not get done as efficiently. However, when a network fails, we all know what a catastrophe that can be, since nothing can get done. :-)

Common Types of Computer Networks, YouTube
I liked this video because it offered a short, concise overview and explanation of some of the acronyms that I had come across and wondered exactly what they were. Now I know what all those abbreviations on my internet router mean.

Management of RFID in Libraries
This was a fascinating topic for me to read about. I think there are many wonderful things, as the author points out, that RFID can do for libraries, but I also understand that there are privacy issues to address as well. I agree with the idea of having both a traditional circulation desk and a self-checkout center…it kind of goes along with the way supermarkets offer a self-checkout yet still have a few checkouts manned by employees. It will be interesting to see where this new technology takes libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment