Friday, October 22, 2010

Week 7

How Internet Infrastructure Works
By Jeff Tyson
Wow the short video at the beginning of this article is enough to make anyone worry about internet privacy and safety! I don’t use public WiFi frequently, but I will be very careful when I do. I like how this article is organized and the illustrations were helpful in understanding the topics addressed. I’m still amazed at how the internet works.

Sergey Brin and Larry Page: Inside the Google Machine
Some interesting tidbits I didn’t know about Google. The world view that opened the video was neat to see, and it was shocking to see how very few light beams were coming out of countries such as Africa. Hopefully someday that will change and connectivity will be readily available everywhere.

Dismantling Integrated Library Systems
By Andrew K. Pace
From reading this article, I got the idea that the library systems are not working well when taken apart from each other. It would not be beneficial to begin anew with a brand new ILS and would be even more expensive as well. New ways to integrate systems need to be developed so that the ILS system can operate with commercial modules.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think about the globe showing how many people are online and wonder how it's physically affecting people. I know there are conflicting studies on possible health hazards of wireless technologies, but it's still worrisome. So when you think about areas that are less connected, it might help to think that their air is 'cleaner'!

    ReplyDelete